[cal10n-dev] Simplified lookup - too simple?

Rick Beton rick.beton at bigbeeconsultants.co.uk
Thu Sep 3 12:57:33 CEST 2009

Hi,

Referring to the simplified lookup (
http://cal10n.qos.ch/manual.html#simplifiedLookup), I think this has been
simplified too far.

Firstly, I think your simplification by removing the default properties file
is justified because it makes it easier to test the robustness of the
application, which is a Good Thing.  The decision may be controversial
because it means that translations have to be done to completion or not at
all; partially complete translations will fail.  But it is consistent with
Cal10n's stated objective of supporting verifiably self-consistent resource
bundles.

However, there is another issue that I am unhappy about.  Java's Locale
allows language, country and region to be specified.  You have removed the
region (or not documented it).  Although the region is not often used, I
think it is necessary and should be supported.

Rick
--
Big Bee Consultants Limited : Registered in England & Wales No. 6397941
Registered Office: 71 The Hundred, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 8BZ