[logback-dev] improving Logback Console Plugin with Table instead of List

Karl Pietrzak kap4020 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 17:19:08 CET 2007

On Nov 25, 2007 2:31 PM, Wim Deblauwe <wim.deblauwe at gmail.com> wrote:

> The currently released Vigilog version is 1.2, but you can get a much
> improved version via webstart when going to http://vigilog.sf.net/staging.
>
> I hope to release the 1.3 soon.

I must say, Wim, 1.3-SNAPSHOT looks really nice!  I've started using it
almost daily at work.  As Sébastien mentioned, I don't know how good it
would be for the logback plugin to launch a separate window (i.e., launch
Vigilog), but having used Vigilog and its features, it would be nice to have
its feature set in an Eclipse plugin.

I thought about how other Eclipse plugins handle this "screen real estate"
issue.  JProfiler<http://www.ej-technologies.com/products/jprofiler/overview.html>,
for instance, launches its own window because there's no way a full profiler
would fit into a View.  Clicking links in the external window brings you
back to the IDE (at least with Eclipse). Another approach would be to have a
Eclipse "tab" (I'm not sure what it's exactly called) opened, like when you
want to compare revisions of a file.  Or maybe an entire "Logback"
perspective?

What do you guys think?  Perhaps someone will correct me (and please do),
but I haven't seen a really nice IDE logging plugin.  It would be so useful,
and yet, it seems to be almost unmarked territory (hopefully fillable by
logback!). :)

What do you guys think as far as an IDE plugin does?

   - separate window (like
JProfiler<http://www.ej-technologies.com/products/jprofiler/overview.html>)
   lets you support multiple IDEs easily because of a shared code base and have
   lots of features because screen real estate is not that much of a concern
   - internal window (View, or Perspective) is nice because it would be
   highly integrated with the IDE, but could not have as many features without
   feeling crammed

Perhaps these needs call for multiple tools?  What do you guys think?