[logback-dev] Lumberjack infos - was: Re: Logback Chainsaw Bridge

Joern Huxhorn jhuxhorn at bpinteractive.com
Thu Oct 4 17:56:31 CEST 2007

Ceki Gulcu wrote:

> Maarten Bosteels wrote:
>  > Ceki, any plans on adding a AsyncAppender to LogBack ?
>
> Yes, it will be added in one of the next releases. It's more a
> question of when than if.
>
>> I have also thought about gzipping the events, with MINA this would
>> be very easy
>> http://mina.apache.org/report/1.1/apidocs/org/apache/mina/filter/CompressionFilter.html
>>

> Java's object stream protocol is already pretty optimized. Thus, I am
> not sure compression would make a big difference, although it is worth
> testing.
It's saving about 40-55%! I'm gzipping serialized events in lumberjack
so it's not just a guess. I think this should probably be considered for
both network transmission and logfiles.

It's really easy/a small change so probably just try it out...
        ByteArrayInputStream bis = new ByteArrayInputStream(buffer);
        GZIPInputStream gis=new GZIPInputStream(bis);
        ObjectInputStream ois=new ObjectInputStream(gis);
        o=ois.readObject();

Joern.