[logback-dev] Unexpected problem with logback

Vicente Ferrer vteferrer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 21:56:54 CEST 2007

Hi,

I´m an habitual user of log4j and I´m trying to port my application to
logback. The first impression of this new tool was very good; the pluggin
for Eclipse IDE has a good apparience. But I´m experiencing a little
worrisomely problem: some logging lines cause the Eclipse plugin stops to
write the rest of logging lines. If I activate a ConsoleAppender, I can view
the rest of the logging lines at the standard console, but the Eclipse
plugins don´t show that lines.

The line causing the Eclipse plugin stops to work is:

     Method[] methods = clazz.getDeclaredMethods();
     log.debug("method: {}", methods[i]);

I´ve seen an error on the Error Log eclipse´s view saying that
java.lang.reflect.Method is not Serializable, and the plugin do not show the
rest of the logging lines.

I´ve experimented similar error when I try to log a message line that
contains an own object such as a bean. In this case, the error is a
ClassNotFoundException because of the logback eclipse plugin can´t find the
bean class. The bean class is in my proyect classpath and in the application
server, logback goes fine because it can reach the bean class. How can I
make accesible my classes to the logback plugin.

Could be these two bugs of the plugin?

If you need it, I can post the stacktrace of the error that appears at
Eclipse Error Log View.

Thanks a lot.

P.D.: I´ve sent this message to the logback user´s list, but later I´ve
thought the most appropiate list for this problem should be the dev list.