[logback-dev] Reverted logback license back to LGPL

Ceki Gulcu listid at qos.ch
Mon Aug 11 21:39:49 CEST 2008

Ralph Goers wrote:

> Ceki Gulcu wrote:

>> LGPL is just a different and widely-accepted license, that's all.
>>
> So are MIT, Apache, BSD, etc. Yet you didn't choose one of them or one
> of many other licenses listed at the open source initiatives site.
> Surely you had more of a reason than that.

MIT and BSD like Apache, except shorter. The LGPL is more assertive. I also find
it morally acceptable and depending on the circumstance even desirable to
propagate LGPL to logback extensions. The ASF point of view, i.e no license
propagation, is also reasonable.

I really wish the ASF and FSF could reach some sort of agreement and then
declare their licenses mutually compatible. The FSF has done that. The ASF has
not. Given that it has taken over two years to settle on the patent clauses of
the Apache license, I am not holding my breath.