[logback-dev] Logback and Java requirement

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen ravn at runjva.com
Tue Nov 18 19:22:40 CET 2008

Ceki Gulcu skrev:

>> I just migrated an elderly application using log4j and jcl to logback
>> except logback doesn't run under Java 1.4 (which is what I have on this
>> AS/400).  Bummer.  I wanted the markers to be able to filter on
>> threads.  Oh well.
>>

> Sorry to hear about the wasted effort. Did you use the slf4j-migrator?

Didn't notice if I did.  I just downloaded the slf4j distribution and
dropped in the bridge jars plus the API, and played shortly with the
jdk14 jar but decided to go for retroweaver (didn't work well enough)
which again led to retrotranslator.

It runs now so the effort wasn't wasted, but I have requested that Java
5 gets installed so I can use the original versions of the jars (that
kind of hoop jumping makes me a little worried).  That will probably
take quite some time, so I'll use this to get on with the actual problem.

>> I could not locate anywhere on the logback pages that Java 5 is a hard
>> requirement (but it was mentioned way down in a slf4j page).  I'd
>> suggest you add a notice to the download page.
>>

> It's documented: http://logback.qos.ch/dependencies.html

Right you are.  Shame on me for not reading all the documentation before
downloading.  I believe that it was just the "logback is log4j reborn so
it probably would say if the JDK requirement was different" unconscious
thought that tricked me there.  Oh well.

>> (And it appears that http://retrotranslator.sourceforge.net/ works with
>> logback under 1.4, but that
>> stack traces look somewhat strange, I'll look into that later)
>>

> Earlier versions of logback offered retrotranslated jar. However, we did not
> want to bother with testing and maintaining that. (It is a thankless job).

I believe that!

And all that just because that Sun decided that JDK 5.0 unconditionally
should compile to a new byte code format.  Sigh sigh sigh.

> If you wish, you can add it back by reversing the changes at:
>
> http://svn.qos.ch/viewvc?view=rev&revision=1660
>
> The last time I checked the retrotranslated code worked pretty well. However,
> that was over 6 months ago.

Thank you for pointing it out, but no I don't want to go that way if I
can possibly help it.

I'll cross my fingers and hope that the powers that be find the time to
put Java 5 on these boxes.

(Time passes differently in our world, as you might have guessed :)

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen  "...plus... Tubular Bells!"