[logback-dev] Least-effort logging with bytecode modification

Ceki Gulcu listid at qos.ch
Tue Nov 18 20:09:06 CET 2008

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
> Ceki Gulcu skrev:
>> Log4j can also determine the caller as can logback. Logback can also
>> determine
>> and print the caller of the caller, or the caller of the caller of the caller.
>> See http://logback.qos.ch/manual/layouts.html#ClassicPatternLayout and then
>> search for the "caller" conversion word. The caller converter can be instructed
>> to print the caller only when certain criteria are met as specified by an
>> evaluator.
>>

> Do you happen to have measured performance of this particular aspect of
> logback versus j.u.l?

Should be similar. Roughly speaking, determining the caller will double the cost
of each written log. On some systems, it factor can be much higher. As I
mentioned previously, logback can determine the caller of the caller (of the
caller, of the caller, etc) whereas jul can only determine the immediate caller.