[logback-dev] Least-effort logging with bytecode modification

Maarten Bosteels mbosteels.dns at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 20:01:15 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 5:45 PM, Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <ravn at runjva.com>wrote:

> Maarten Bosteels skrev:
> >

> >     I cannot count the times I've pasted a stack trace in the Java Stack
> >     Trace pane on the Console to be able to navigate.
> >

> > I am not sure we're talking about the same thing, but have you heard
> > of JumpToCode ?
> > It's a plugin for IntelliJ IDEA that listens for "jump to this code"
> > commands from external programs.
> > Creating a similar plugin for eclipse is on my TODO list.
> >
> > The idea is that log-viewers such as Vigilog and Chainsaw show
> > hyperlinks for every LocationInfo.
> > When hyperlink is clicked a "jump to code" command is sent to your
> > IDE, which will navigate to the corresponding code.
> >
> > This is already implemented in Vigilog.  I still have to ask the
> > chainsaw maintainers to see if they are also interested.
> This is a very interesting thing, as I have asked the Eclipse folks the
> same thing a long time ago.  Is there a way to communicate things back
> to Eclipse when running in a debugger and the answer was "no".
>
> It would be really nice to have.  My only concern is if a fellow
> coworker decides to tease me, and start sending bogus requests.  Is
> there a password mechanism or so?

You can specify on which interface and which port the plugin listens. By
default it uses 127.0.0.1 so it only listens for requests coming from
localhost.
I run vigilog and IDEA on two different PC's so I let the plugin listen on
0.0.0.0. No problems with co-workers so far :-)

There is no password mechanism, but it could be added of course. But I think
problem could also be solved with iptables.

> Otherwise an integration with the Eclipse plugin would be a good idea
> perhaps.

Not sure:

The idea about navigating from logging-event to corresponding code was
stolen from Log4jMonitor : another IDEA plugin similar to the eclipse
logback plugin but more advanced.
It uses a JTable instead of plain text and also has filtering options.
It worked really well. But it has a dependency on the Intellij API, and the
plugin no longer works in recent versions of IDEA.

That's why I wanted a plugin that's as simple as possible => small
dependency on IntelliJ API => higher chance of staying compatible and being
maintained.
=> more time left to work on a nice logviewer that can be used by both
eclipse and IDEA users.

Unfortunately the current release of Vigilog is IMO not really usable during
development:
* it has no support to tail a file
* it has no support for receiving log-events over a socket

I have added support for the latter, but it's not polished enough to be
released. That's another thing on my TODO list.

http://plugins.intellij.net/plugin/?id=13
http://www.intellij.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/LogMonitorPlugin

regards,
Maarten