[logback-dev] Least-effort logging with bytecode modification

Joern Huxhorn jhuxhorn at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 20 00:27:31 CET 2008

Hi guys!
>>> This is a really neat idea, which might also work well with the Eclipse
>>> Console plugin.
>>>
>>> I cannot count the times I've pasted a stack trace in the Java Stack
>>> Trace pane on the Console to be able to navigate.
>>>
>> I am not sure we're talking about the same thing, but have you heard of
>> JumpToCode ?
>> It's a plugin for IntelliJ IDEA that listens for "jump to this code"
>> commands from external programs.
>> Creating a similar plugin for eclipse is on my TODO list.
>>
>> The idea is that log-viewers such as Vigilog and Chainsaw show hyperlinks
>> for every LocationInfo.
>> When hyperlink is clicked a "jump to code" command is sent to your IDE,
>> which will navigate to the corresponding code.
>>
>> This is already implemented in Vigilog.  I still have to ask the chainsaw
>> maintainers to see if they are also interested.
>>

> forgot to add some URL's:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/firewood/wiki/JumpToCodePlugin
> http://plugins.intellij.net/plugin/?id=1894
> http://vigilog.sourceforge.net/

Have you checked out Lilith yet? It's a Socket-only LogViewer and I've
implemented similar behavior in an IDEA plugin because I wasn't aware of
the JumpToCode plugin. I'm simply receive serialized StackTraceElement's
and jump to the referenced code. The previous version didn't have the
restriction to only listen on 127.0.0.1 but the current one has it.

I was having a serious amount of fun with my coworkers because of that
"feature". I just didn't think about it first and than thought that it
was actually quite funny :D

http://lilith.huxhorn.de/
http://plugins.intellij.net/plugin/?id=2176
http://lilith.huxhorn.de/idea

Unfortunately, Lilith is currently only supporting Logback 0.9.9. I'm
waiting for 0.9.12 including - hopefully - an implementation of
http://jira.qos.ch/browse/LBCLASSIC-46 .

If you can live with that downside I'd like to encourage you to check it
out and tell me what you think about it.

Regards,
Joern.