[logback-dev] Twitter Appender?

Joern Huxhorn jhuxhorn at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 3 17:34:03 CEST 2009

Hi guys,

I'm using Twitter4J on another small project and I was wondering if a
TwitterAppender would make sense.

I'd obviously only do something in case of an error to prevent too
much tweets followed by a ban of the user.
I would have the benefit (at least foe ppl like me that get tweets
pushed to their phone ;)) that I would get informed immediately if
something really bad happens.

I'm just brainstorming here but I'd like to hear other ppls opinions
on the case.
The Appender would have a dedicated Twitter user. Twitter user and
password would be set in the config.
Additionally, a list of Twitter usernames would be provided.
Those would receive a reply (or a DM?) in case of an error.

Some questions that jump to my mind:
What should the actual message contain? We only have 140-
username.length()-2 characters.
Messages shouldn't contain anything confidential...
Messages must not be the same all the time. They need to differ,
otherwise they will be ignored by Twitter.
How should flooding be prevented if the app keeps producing errors
(this would ban the twitter user, otherwise)

Ideas, Suggestions, Bashing? ;)

Joern.