[logback-dev] Twitter Appender?

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Thu Aug 6 15:15:18 CEST 2009

Joern Huxhorn wrote:

> On 05.08.2009, at 12:03, Ceki Gulcu wrote:

> Best of all, there's another application for the iPhone called Boxcar
> [2] that pushes @replies, meaning that a message box pops up on the
> phone and an (optional) sound (or vibration if muted) is played when a
> reply is received.
> So it would probably make sense to send those messages as @replies to
> users listed in the appender. This would reduce the number of available
> characters, though.

Having your phone alert the user is well worth a character or two.

> Another way that I forgot would be a twitter account with a private
> timeline. Those are not available for searching and can only @reply to
> people that are following it. Following must be accepted by the account.
> I think this would be sufficient for most cases but something like a
> CONFIDENTIAL marker does also make a lot of sense. This would simply be
> configured "around" the appender, right?

I was not aware of private timelines. Good to know.

Around the appender? I am not sure what you mean, but among the
various data you pass to the appender, you could pass the name of the
marker (a String) that triggers confidential treatment.

>> The contents of the tweets could be formatted using a PatternLayout
>> similar to the way SMTPAppender formats the subject of the outgoing
>> email message.
>

>> How about building a prototype of TweeterAppender?

Since you submitted the idea, I was assuming that you were also
volunteering to do the implementation. Did I somehow misread your intentions?