[logback-dev] Layout setter/getter methods in AppenderBase

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Mon Feb 9 23:15:04 CET 2009

Hello Joern,

At an earlier time, certain classes expected the Appender interface to have a
setter/getter for the layout property. AbstractLayoutAction is one such class.
However, it is no longer used. (I just removed it.)

Many logback appenders do not require a layout and can have their layout
property set to null. Having a layout property in Appender and AppenderBase is
just noise for such appenders but otherwise not harmful. They have a property,
i.e. layout, which they don't use...

If the Appender interface did not contain the layout property, we would probably
  have two distinct appender base implementations, AppenderBase and
AppenderBaseWithLayout (possibly with an additional interface such as
AppenderWithLayout). Come to think of it, we would also need to handle the
UnsyncronizedAppenderBase branch of the class hierarchy.  Adding
UnsyncronizedAppenderBaseWithLayout would be too unwieldy. :-)

For developers coming from log4j, AppenderBase having the same implementation
for setLayout and getLayout as log4j's AppenderSkeleton class would help them
migrate to logback with a little bit more ease, at least with less surprise.

I wonder what I was thinking when I implemented layout setter and getters in
LayoutBase as nop.