[logback-dev] on immutability

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Tue Feb 24 11:17:24 CET 2009

Hello Joern,

Joern Huxhorn wrote:

> Ok, I *do* understand what immutability is *supposed* to be about but
> reality is quite different. In the two languages that I know best - Java
> and C++ - constness and immutability can be circumvented easily.

The fact that immutability can be circumvented by technical means is
in my opinion inconsequential.  Marking an object instance immutable
conveys intent. You can build additional logic on top of the
immutability hypothesis. If someone intentionally circumvents
immutability, the ensuing problems are theirs, not ours.