[logback-dev] IllegalMonitorStateException in AppenderAttachableImpl.appendLoopOnAppenders()

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Fri Jan 30 20:04:18 CET 2009

Hello Zoltan,

Looking at this exception and related code in AppenderAttachableImpl,
moving the r.lock(); statement outside of the try block will not
change anything because I believe that r.lock() does not throw
exceptions. However, looking at ReentrantReadWriteLock.ReadLock class'
lock() method, one is directed to the ReentrantReadWriteLock.Sync
class and its acquireShared() method. If this method fails to acquire
the lock due to a RuntimeException, then the subsequent r.unlock()
call will fail with an IllegalMonitorStateException. In any case,
r.lock() will not throw an exception since the exception is absorbed
by the sync.acquireShared method.

It would be quite helpful if you were able to reproduce the problem.

We could place the r.unlock() invocation within a try/catch block
(absorbing the IllegalMonitorStateException you got). However, this is
may only obfuscate the real cause of the problem, that is an
OutOfMemoryException or such. We could also imagine that there is a
bug in ReentrantReadWriteLock. Given its complexity, it's not such an
outlandish hypothesis.

Otherwise, the only remaining possibility is a bug in logback. But we
all know that is impossible.

More seriously, I think this bug will be hard to nail down.