[logback-dev] What is the most efficient way - preferrably platform agnostic - to submit events from "the outside"?

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Tue Mar 3 14:26:42 CET 2009

Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen wrote:

> If I understand you correctly you basically say there is a need for a
> standardized set of event data.

Yes.

> After thinking this over it might be better to have code generating the
> events instead of them being stored statically on disk.  This is to
> avoid setting any API in stone except the slf4j interface which by now
> should be settled.

The generator might have some logback dependencies, we are talking
about logback logging events after all.

> (What if the internal representation of a stack trace is changed or
> similar?  Just happened, might happen again :) )

If we assume that the corpus is generated, then we don't need to worry
about the internal representation of logging event changing. The
generator will take care of adapting to the new format.

The generator might have some logback dependencies, we are talking
about logback logging events after all.

It is likely that the corpus will need to be present in memory, so it
should not be huge as to exceed the heap size of the JVM. A sample
size of approximately 100'000 is imho sufficient. We would then
measure the time it takes to encode and then decode the corpus and
storage size of the encoded results.

I assume that the generator will be based on pseudo-random number
generators. We would need to settle on several parameters such as
message length, the number of messages with parameters, the frequency
of exceptions, etc.

There is no test suite as such. There is just a standard set of
logging events called the corpus that various encoding strategies are
benchmarked against.