[logback-dev] Replacing CallerData class

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Wed Mar 18 17:35:41 CET 2009

Joern Huxhorn wrote:

> Extending StackTraceElement won't work because STE is a final class.

Good point.

> Why don't you simply use StackTraceElementProxy  instead of STE? That
> way, it could - optionally - also contain ClassPackagingData.

As it stands, CallerData is almost identical to the StackTraceElement
class. I don't expect CallerData to ever contain ClassPackagingData
because collecting class packaging data is an extremely expensive
operation, barely tolerable for exceptions but certainly not for every
log statement.  I would be quite surprised if we ever wanted to
replace CallerData/STE with STEProxy.