[logback-dev] What is the most efficient way - preferrably platform agnostic - to submit events from "the outside"?

Ralph Goers ralph.goers at dslextreme.com
Tue Mar 3 01:36:00 CET 2009

On Mar 2, 2009, at 11:51 AM, Ceki Gulcu wrote:

> Ralph,
>
> You are right to note that the subject line is more general than the
> issue of data encoding, a.k.a data binding. Joern and I seems to be
> focused on the data binding part of the general problem because as
> Joern's observes, any generic RPC-type of solution is bound to be
> slower than a simple TCP socket approach which implies zero protocol
> overhead. The socket appender approach might not be the most
> user-friendly or reliable but it is bound to be the fastest.  The only
> remaining issue then (having fixed the transport mechanism to basic
> TCP socket) is data binding.
>
> What is the essence of your objection? Do you think we are wasting our
> time or is there something else?  :-)

I'm simply trying to understand what problem you are solving. I also
think your assumption regarding the socket approach being the fastest
is correct only under the simplest of circumstances. Finally, while
the SocketAppender definitely clears up the client side, I haven't
seen any discussion about what it is connecting to. Frankly, that is
the part I find most important and why I'm making any kind of issue
out of this.

Let's assume you use a SocketAppender and connect to something
listening for some kind of serialized LogEvent. What if the client
wants to dictate to the server whether it should get control back
immediately after the event is received or wait until the event is
procesed? What if I want to communicate the locale or timezone of the
client to the server? I'm pulling this off the top of my head but
hopefully you get the idea that by specifying the service interface
that you get more flexibility for enhancement down the road. And the
cost of serializing a method where one of the parameters is the
LogEvent probably isn't even measturable vs the cost of serializing
the event itself. So my point is simply that if I was doing this I
would have the SocketAppender use the service interface to establish
the connection with whatever parameters are desired and then use the
service to invoke the method to send the event. Doing this also allows
you to create different appenders that use the same service one of
which might be on top of Spring remoting so that any of its remoting
implementations could be used. On the server side they would call the
same implementation class as what the SocketAppender ends up
interacting with.

Does that clear it up?

Ralph