[logback-dev] The encoder branch merged with master

Ceki Gülcü ceki at qos.ch
Tue Mar 2 13:12:06 CET 2010

Hello,

This is to inform you that I have merge the encoder branch into the
master branch. I am still documenting the changes. In short,
WriterAppeder has been renamed as OutputStreamAppender, FileAppender
now sub-classing the latter. OutputStreamAppender and sub-classes now
take an Encoder instead of a Layout.

Contrary to Layouts which simply transform a logging event into a
String, an encoder is responsible for writing the actual event or more
accurately the representation of the event into the output stream. The
role of the enclosing appender now only manages the output stream
(opening/closing) but not the actual contents written onto the stream.