[logback-dev] Running the logback project as a commitocracy

Ceki Gülcü ceki at qos.ch
Sat Feb 19 22:51:16 CET 2011

On 19/02/2011 10:06 PM, Joern Huxhorn wrote:

> On 18.02.2011, at 23:08, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>
>> Sure. I understand that seeing one's contributions ignored/declined
>> can be frustrating. I am sorry for ignoring/declining the
>> contributions which deserved better.
>>

 > For a more recent example I asked about switching to Gradle in
 > http://www.mail-archive.com/slf4j-dev@qos.ch/msg00487.html and got no
 > answer yet...
 >
 > I interpreted  this as a "no"  but I may  be mistaken and it  just got
 > lost on the mailinglist...
 >
 > How about setting up Gradle build for Logback and/or SLF4J? We could
 > leave the Maven2 build in place for a transition period, of course...

I am torn between Grovvy and Scala as replacements for Java.

Groovy is easy to learn, adds higher order functions and a whole bunch
of other very nice features. However, it is not statically typed which
means that Groovy code is much slower than Java (for CPU intensive
code). Just as importantly, the Groovy compiler skips type checking
which leaves you to discovering errors at runtime.

Scala on the other hand is as feature-rich as Groovy but statically
typed.  Scala's type-inference mechanism is a source of continuous
amazement. Given that it is statically typed, Scala generates code
which runs as fast as Java. However, Scala is harder to learn than
Groovy, at least it was for me. Scala also has extremely serious
backwards compatibility issues due to the way traits are folded into
code which import them.

Both languages are DSL friendly. It is rather easy to write
in-language DSLs in Groovy and Scala. In my experience, coding a DSL
in Groovy is easier but Scala DSLs are type checked by the compiler
which is a big plus (as you get IDE support, e.g. completion, for
free).

As Scala is only used in tests, we could stop using Scala. (I've
written a configuration DSL for logback in Scala. The syntax is
similar to what we have in Groovy but the Scala version is
type-checked.)

Anyway, can you describe what you like in Gradle?