[logback-dev] About LBCORE-224...

Ceki Gülcü ceki at qos.ch
Mon Oct 3 19:41:40 CEST 2011

On 03/10/2011 7:16 PM, Joern Huxhorn wrote:

> On 30.09.2011, at 18:02, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>
>> On 29/09/2011 5:44 PM, Joern Huxhorn wrote:
>>> This issue is still creeping me out.
>>>
>>> First of all, I'm perfectly fine with your workaround.
>>
>> OK, good to hear. Thanks.
>>
>>> Nevertheless, we should probably create an app that produces the
>>> IllegalMonitorStateException and deliver it to the Java developers. If
>>> this is a Java bug - and I have no other explanation - then it's a
>>> really critical one...
>>
>> Although I do not have the time to work on this myself, I support your
>> initiative.
>
> Hint taken. ;)

> My only problem is that I don't have any system that's able to
> reproduce this bug (only Mac or Linux) and I'd rather not want to
> submit this already very obscure issue without being sure that the
> attached example/application is really reproducing the problem.

On the lbcore224 branch before commit eef137b0c6ca92cd4 [1], running
on Windows 7 64 bits and AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor, I am able to
reproduce the bug 6 or 7 times out of every 10 runs. So it's pretty
reproducible, at least on my machine.

The fact that the IllegalMonitorStateException is thrown within the
ZooKeeperServer.shutdown method could be relavant. I was also
wondering whether the IllegalMonitorStateException could be caused by
Thread.interrupt calls.

[1] https://github.com/ceki/logback/commit/eef137b0c6ca92cd4

--
http://twitter.com/ceki