[logback-dev] Copyright headers

ceki ceki at qos.ch
Sat Jun 16 15:49:37 CEST 2012

On 15.06.2012 20:19, Les Hazlewood wrote:
> When I created the Logback Extensions project, I did so in the spirit of
> most of the *Extensions projects with which I have had experience, e.g.
> Wicket Extensions
> (http://www.wicketframework.org/wicket-extensions/index.html) and others
> like it.
>
> The idea of these extensions projects (and my original intent of Logback
> Extensions) is that, with the advent of things like Github, modern Open
> Source has changed: people (and many companies) don't want _any_
> barriers to committing to and adopting Open Source projects.  They want
> to submit patches, check out, fork, submit pull requests, make additions
> and do whatever they need to Get Their Job Done(tm).

Hello all,

First and foremost, I'd like to express my gratitude to Les for the
logback-extensions initiative. It has prompted interest in
contributions well beyond expectations.

Regarding the CLA, in my experience requesting for CLAs has not been a
hindrance. Developers who made contributions or have expressed
interest in contributing have always signed the CLA when requested to
do so. As a matter of fact, all current members of logback-extensions
*already* have CLAs on file, that is all members except Les**. It's an
unfortunate mishap attributable entirely to me. I'll contact Les in
private for the CLA.

** Les' remarks about the CLA seemed hypothetical until I noticed that
he did not have a CLA on file. How embarrassing!

Beyond the CLA issue, Les also raises good questions about
contribution management. Now is probably a good time to discuss the
purpose of the logback-extensions project.

As I envision it, logback-extesions will host modules with narrower
scope than modules in logback-proper. Hopefully, many of these modules
will be on par quality-wise with modules in logback-proper.
Experimental modules of lesser reliability should be marked as such,
i.e. experimental. Moreover, modules should be able to move in either
direction: from logback-extensions to logback-proper and from
logback-proper to logback-extensions. In practice however, I'd expect
that once a module finds a home, it will tend to stay put.

Logback-extensions' adds value because it reduces coupling with
logback-proper. As I understand it, developers feel freer working on a
particular module without necessarily needing to coordinate with the
core project. For example, logback-extensions can have a different
release cycle than logback-proper. Certain modules may even choose to
live as separate projects with yet a different lifecycle.

I've been also implicitly assuming that logback-extensions would be
distributed under the QOS.ch banner. For example, it would be released
under the ch.qos.logback namespace in Maven central. Similarly,
documentation for modules in logback-extensions modules would be
hosted under http://logback.qos.ch/.  Have I misread the situation?

Given the above, my question is:

Should logback-extensions be released under the QOS.ch banner?

[] Yes, logback-extensions should be released under the QOS.ch banner.
[] No, it should be released under a different banner.
[] Maybe (please explain)

Your comments are welcome.

http://twitter.com/#!/ceki