[logback-dev] Looking at MongoDBAppender

ceki ceki at qos.ch
Mon Jun 18 18:54:33 CEST 2012

On 18.06.2012 17:32, Christian Trutz wrote:
> Hi ceki,
>
> thank you very much for your remarks :-)
>
> Remark 1): yes i agree with you, that integration tests are also very
> usefull and only
> with integration tests you know, that the software do what you want.
> I thought that maybe Maven profiles could be very useful to separate
> execution of
> integration tests. Only with profile (say "integration-tests") the
> integration tests will
> be executed. Have we any Hudson/Jenkins instance for logback-extensions?

You would need to have an oracle-profile, mysql-profile,
postgres-profile and mongo-db profile. I think it might be easier to
keep track of the machines in code as is done in
DBAppenderIntegrationTest. Using profiles has the advantage of
decoupling the tests run from the test code. The isConformantHost
check is quick-and-dirty but gets the job done.

There is no Jenkins instance for logback/logback-extensions. There was
a CI for logback a few years back but I no longer had the time to
maintain the instance.

> Remark 2): I am using TestNG only because it was included, not because I
> think it
> is necesary. I will change the logback-ext-mongodb unit tests to JUnit
> tests.

That would be great thanks.

> Remark 3):
>  >If I understand correctly, Jmockit relies on a java-agent to execute?
> Yes, with jdk1.5 it relies on java-agent, with jdk1.6. it runs also
> without java-agent.
> We have jdk1.6. so we do not need any java-agent configurations, the
> tests run OTB.

Looking at [1], although ootb there is a javaagent attached to the
JVM. I might be wrong here but using a Java agent to run tests seems
like an awfully heavy handed method. It affects every single class
loaded into memory. The MockitoJUnitRunner approach seems less
invasive imho.

[1] http://tinyurl.com/cflvr9r

> Remark 4): Ohh ok, I will separate logback-ext-mongodb into classic and
> access ...

Thank you. To be precise, it's actually logback-mongodb-parent pom
module plus 3 children: logback-mongodb-core, logback-mongodb-classic
and logback-mongodb-access.

>  >Notwithstanding the above remarks, I am looking forward to testing
> logback-mongodb-* once I install MongoDB on my local machine.
> OK please look also to
> https://github.com/qos-ch/logback-extensions/wiki/MongoDB

I think it would be easier if you could push the docs onto
http://logback.qos.ch directly. We can discuss this later.

http://twitter.com/#!/ceki