[logback-dev] Logback Maven repo for deploying releases?

ralph.goers @dslextreme.com rgoers at apache.org
Mon Mar 12 23:27:12 CET 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM, ceki <ceki at qos.ch> wrote:

> On 12.03.2012 18:08, ceki wrote:
>
> As stated by Joel Orlina in OSSRH-3121 [1], configuration has been
> prepared for hosting a repository for logback on oss.sonatype.
>
> He writes:
>
> Configuration has been prepared, now you can:
>
> repo_1) Deploy snapshot artifacts into repository
>   https://oss.sonatype.org/**content/repositories/snapshots<https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots>
>
> repo_2) Deploy release artifacts into the staging repository
> https://oss.sonatype.org/**service/local/staging/deploy/**maven2<https://oss.sonatype.org/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2>
>
> Promote staged artifacts into repository 'Releases'
>
> repo_3) Download snapshot and release artifacts from group
> https://oss.sonatype.org/**content/groups/public<https://oss.sonatype.org/content/groups/public>
>
> repo_4) Download snapshot, release and staged artifacts from staging group
> https://oss.sonatype.org/**content/groups/staging<https://oss.sonatype.org/content/groups/staging>
>

> I can see use for repo_1 for deploying snapshots and repo_2 for releasing
> artifacts (to be subsequently synced with Maven Central). However, what use
> is there for repo_3 and repo_4?

https://oss.sonatype.org/index.html#view-repositories provides some help in
understanding this.

Repo 3 and 4 are both group repositories, which generally mean they are an
aggregation of other repositories and don't actually hold content on their
own. User's generally use these to limit the number of repositories they
have to point to. As the comment indicates, repo 3 is where most users
would go to get the actual release artifacts (if they don't go to Central)
and it also includes the snapshot repository. Repo 4 contains the artifacts
that have been staged. From the comments it apparently also includes the
release and snapshot repos as well as staging.

Repositories that actually hold content are "hosted" while others are
proxies for other Maven repositories hosted somewhere else.

Repo 1 and Repo 2 are where you will deploy to.

Repo 2.5 (The Releases repository mentioned)  is actually
https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/releases/ and is included in
Repo 3 and 4.

IOW (at least if I understand the comments in your note correctly) - Repo 3
is the aggregation of the Releases and Snapshots repositories while Repo 4
is the aggregation of the Releases, Snapshots and Staging repositories.