[logback-dev] How to contribute to logback?

Becker, Thomas Thomas.Becker at netapp.com
Wed Oct 24 21:53:56 CEST 2012

I won't say that I couldn't reconfigure the code so that such an "end-of-session" point could be identified.  I will say that I don't think that is a general solution to the problem.  In your scenario you are correct that with my changes the 101st request will result in the oldest appender getting closed and a new one getting opened.  And that "thrashing" will continue as long as we hover above the 100 request mark yes.  But things will work, and work as they should.  If performance is degraded my option is to decide if I can afford to increase this maximum (which keep in mind is the maximum I deliberately chose, since the default is unbounded), or address it some other way.  My application will not go down in flames because I can't open a socket or some such thing that requires an FD since my logging system has decided it can consume as many as it wants.  I would consider a temporary performance degradation to be preferable to failure, wouldn't you?

Regards,
Tommy