[logback-dev] log file parser requierements

ceki ceki at qos.ch
Mon Apr 22 23:33:10 CEST 2013

Tony Trinh has done quite a bit of work on logback-decoder. The
exchange in [1] is probably worth reading.

Given a pattern, the core idea is to create regular expressions from
that pattern. Once we have the regular expression containing grouping
instructions, we can capture various ILoggingeEvent fields.

Tony has written several classes under the
ch.qos.logback.decoder.regex package for this purpose.

Assuming each log line corresponds to a ILoggingEvent, once we have
the correct regular expression, we can go through the file and convert
each line into an ILoggingEvent.

I think it is easier to start by solving this sub-problem before
trying to convert events spanning multiple lines.

We can also ignore AccessEvent conversions (events generated by
logback-access) in the initial stages of the project.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/wqqaxztmjqfuklri

On 22.04.2013 23:04, Johannes Bühler wrote:
> Hi Ceki,
> Sounds good to me to get started.
>
> Thanks,
> Johannes
>
> On Monday, April 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM, ceki wrote:
>

>> Hi Johannes,
>>
>> Cool.
>>
>> The goal of logback-decoder is to convert one or more lines found in a
>> log file (containing text) into a series of objects of type
>> ILoggingEvent. Thus, FileAppender converts instances of ILoggingEvent
>> into one or more lines in a log file, a decoder performs the inverse
>> operation.
>>
>> It should be assumed that the first line of the log file contains the
>> pattern that was used to format the output. See
>> http://logback.qos.ch/manual/encoders.html#outputPatternAsHeader for
>> further details.
>>
>> Is the above sufficient to get you started?
>>
>> On 22.04.2013 22:27, Johannes Bühler wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> Ceki asked for a volunteer for writing a logback log file parser. I am
>>> interested in doing it.
>>> Are there already some initial requierements available?
>>> Looking forward to it!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Johannes

65% of statistics are made up on the spot