[logback-dev] Patch Submitted to JDK for Public getCallerClass Replacement (Cross-Posted from Log4j Dev Mailing List)

Nick Williams nicholas+logback at nicholaswilliams.net
Sun Sep 1 22:16:38 CEST 2013

Guys,

If you have been following any of the discussions on the Log4j or Java 8 Core-Libs-Dev mailing list, you likely know what's going on with sun.reflect.Reflection#getCallerClass(int). My understanding is that these issues directly affect the Logback team. After about a month of work (not full-time; balancing with $work and writing), I have completed a new public API that replaces Reflection#getCallerClass(int). As of last night, I have submitted my patch to the JDK mailing list:

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2013-September/020477.html

I appreciate anyone who can support it verbally on the list, but of course the most critical test is whether we can get a committer to sponsor the change. There hasn't been a whole lot of /apparent/ willingness to cooperate on the development and refinement of the API from the people in charge over there, so I'm hoping with enough voices we can get this patch taken seriously and prevent the impending catastrophe of losing getCallerClass. :-)

Thanks,

Nick Williams
Apache Logging