[logback-dev] removing context selectors will break our libraries and applications

Ceki ceki at qos.ch
Sun Apr 28 21:15:06 CEST 2019

Hi Garret,

Off the top of my head, the migration to ServiceLoader provider
mechanism is intended to be transparent for users of the API. (On the
other hand, logging implementations , i.e. backends,  need to make some
adaptations.)

Static binding and ServiceLoader accomplish the overall same task, with
the ServiceLoader provide mechanism being a little more flexible. The
move was mandatory in order to support JPMS/Java 9 modules.

Regarding ContextSelector, it would be possible to reintroduce it,
provided there is interest by the community. I guess that's the bottom line.

More inline...

On 28.04.2019 16:00, Garret Wilson wrote:> Hi, everyone. We're really
wanting to release a new version of our Clogr
> library to work with the latest Logback, but there's so much unclear
> about the current status. First, if you could be so kind as to read my
> previous email blow, which I sent almost a year ago. Now here are the
> areas I'm unclear on:
>
>   * I had indicated that our library relies on ContextSelector. This
>     class appears to be back in 1.3.0-alpha4, yet I see that
>     https://logback.qos.ch/news.html still says that, "Due to lack of
>     user interest, logback-classic no longer supports logging separation
>     by way of ContextSelector." Is it the case that the news page is
>     simply out of date and invalid?

The class ContextSelector might still be around but the use of
ContextSelector was commented out in LogbackServiceProvider. It would be
possible to uncomment said code without too much trouble I believe.

>   * As I explain in depth at https://stackoverflow.com/a/38317149/421049
>     , SLF4J previous relied on StaticLoggerBinder to determine which
>     SLF4J implementation would be used. The Logback implementation
>     ContextSelectorStaticBinder would then determine which
>     ContextSelector to use. Now that there is no StaticLoggerBinder, how
>     does Logback call ContextSelectorStaticBinder.init() so that the
>     default context selector will be set up?

As I tried to explain in the beginning of this message, the move to
ServiceLoader does not change the general mechanism.

>   * In previous versions our library would call
>     StaticLoggerBinder.getSingleton() to ensure that SLF4J would
>     initialize the binding and set up the Logback default logger
>     context. Since that is now gone, what can we call to make sure that
>     SLF4J is bound to the correct implementation and the default logger
>     context is available in Logback?

Loggerfactory.getProvider() ?

>   * Is
>     ContextSelectorStaticBinder.getSingleton().getContextSelector().getDefaultLoggerContext()
>     still guaranteed to be the default logger context that was
>     initialized by Logback?

ContextSelectorStaticBinder has been defanged in LogbackServiceProvider.

>   * If we switch to Logback 1.3.0-alpha4 and SLF4J 1.8.0-beta4, will all
>     the other libraries that were compiled against SLF4J 1.7.25 still work?\

Yes.

>   * Is it recommended that applications switch to Logback 1.3.0-alpha4
>     and SLF4J 1.8.0-beta4, or is this just test code that is going to be
>     experimented with for several years, and production code should stay
>     with Logback 1.2.3 and SLFJ 1.7.25?

No, production should stay with SLF4J 1.7.25 and logback 1.2.3.