[logback-user] Why LGPL instead of Apache License?

Ceki Gülcü listid at qos.ch
Wed Dec 27 21:23:41 CET 2006

Hello Bruce,

The LGPL was chosen for a number of reasons. First, it is a relatively
permissive license for those wishing to use logback as a logging
library. Second, those who wish to extend logback can do so as long as
they publish the results under the LGPL, a condition which I find
quite reasonable. Third, the LGPL help to differentiate between log4j
and logback as projects.

Moreover, given that logback is intended to be used behind the SLF4J
API, client code does not come in direct contact with logback
code. SLF4J is licensed under and MIT/X11 type of license. Thus, even
organizations such the ASF which do not permit the use of LGPL
licensed libraries, can use logback through SLF4J.

I hope this answers the question,