[logback-user] Auto configuration within unit tests

Ceki Gülcü listid at qos.ch
Tue Oct 24 22:37:08 CEST 2006

Hi Simon,

Your question is close to Michael Newcomb's post of a few weeks
ago. One of the last key features missing in logback is support for
default configuration. Anyway, this is relatively easy to do and will
be added shortly. It should be part of logback version 0.5 (to be
released in the next 48 hours), if not, version 0.6.

Coming back to your question, assume we want to keep it simple. What
if during auto-configuration logback gave higher priority to the file
logback-test.xml, and only it could not be found, search for
logback.xml, this independently of junit or testng classes? What would
be wrong with that approach? It seems to me that this approach would
work both with Eclipse and Maven.

Only when the file "logback-test.xml" found its way into production,
we would run into trouble. Is that likely?

We could further facilitate the life of the developer by proposing a
very simple default configuration in the absence of both
logback-test.xml and logback.xml files.

WDYT?