[logback-user] RE: [logback-user] add property for specifying logback.xmlfilelocation

Gerweck Andy - agerwe Andy.Gerweck at acxiom.com
Thu Feb 8 21:54:19 CET 2007

I'm another happy, impressed LOGBack user who has very similar needs. Where I develop, we have several different deployment levels, all of which require substantially different logging configurations (e.g., development, qa, staging, production). However, our standard rollout procedure currently produces one standard build, as a zip file, for QA and above. We control the configuration in our startup with a few environment variables.

As I start to push for my team's adoption of LOGBack, some mechanism like the one proposed below will be essential. I can't see any reason why I couldn't include a base logging configuration file in the classpath as a springboard to the configurable logging location. It would be convenient to specify the location for quick-and-dirty hacks, but I could live without it. The only drawback is that Log4j offers this, so there may be some in my group who protest changing to an implementation they may call +IBw-incomplete.+IB0- That said, if I could only have one, it would definitely be the inclusion mechanism.

I+IBk-m not yet familiar with Joran, but it would be great if we could include some configure kind of mapping that along the lines of the below (pidgin pseudocode, but I think it's pretty clear).

    logName +AD0-
      case ENV+AHs-'env'+AH0- of
        'qa'   -+AD4- 'qa-logback.xml'
        'dev'  -+AD4- 'log-dev.xml'
        'prod' -+AD4- 'logback.xml'
    logLocation +AD0- concat(ENV+AHs-'root'+AH0-, '/config/', logName)

As long as I can control the location of the file with an environment variable, I can make things work, but it would be great to make the file location a function of one or more variables as above.

Thank you,
Andy Gerweck