[logback-user] Re: Using Logback on JDK1.4 possible?

Sebastien Pennec sebastien at qos.ch
Tue Jan 16 20:27:29 CET 2007

Hi Andy,

I've tested Retrotranslator today, and it gives quite good results. I've been able to
run all of our JUnit test cases but one with the translated JDK 1.4 jars.

Moreover, Retrotranslator provides a nice maven plug-in that integrates pretty well
in the project life cycle. The verification you recommended is also automated with
the plug-in.

At this time, there are a few warnings coming from Retrotranslator. They are all
directed to javax.management and other JMX related classes. Everything else in
logback translates fine. As far as I know, the project that logback depends on should
also run under JDK 1.4, but I cannot promise anything about that.

If you want to give a try to the JDK 1.4 jars, you'll need to checkout the project
from the repository and run the process-classes phase. Additionally, you will need to
setup a variable to the JDK 1.4's rt.jar file in your maven_home/conf/settings.xml.
See the parent pom for a comment about this variable.

We'll run more tests with the translated jars. Unless we find something bad, the next
release will contain a jdk14 directory with the translated jars.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,

Sébastien