[logback-user] Using logback simply

Sebastien Pennec sebastien at qos.ch
Wed Jan 24 15:13:38 CET 2007

Hello Fouche,

Thanks for the example, that's a constraint I've never experienced so far, but one
that is fully understandable.

We're iterating on our documentation on a regular basis, so I'll add programmatic
configuration examples to our to-document list :)

Cheers,

Sébastien

f_du_preez at limehouse.co.za wrote:
> [...]
>> don't need them. The Core jar contains many components that are generic and
>> used
>> commonly by the two other modules. As of SLF4J, it is a different project,
>> that
>> provides an easy facade so that your application's classes are not tied to a
>> specific
>> logging implementation. Since logback is a direct implementation of the
>> SLF4J, the
>> SLF4J api is required to run logback classic. However, logback access is not
>> tied to
>> SLF4J so if you want to do http-access logging, you won't need the SLF4J api
>> jar.
>>
>> Here is some code that you might want to add to your configuration classes.
>> It
>> creates a RollingFileAppender, with a TimeBasedRollingPolicy that will
>> rollover the
>> file every day. There is also a PatternLayout to configure the formatting of
>> the
>> logging events.
>>
>> Hope this helps :)
>>
>> Sébastien
>>
>> //////////////
>>
>> LoggerContext lc = (LoggerContext) LoggerFactory.getILoggerFactory();
>> lc.shutdownAndReset();
>> RollingFileAppender appender = new RollingFileAppender();
>> appender.setContext(lc);
>> appender.setFile("/tmp/filename.txt");
>> appender.setName("rfa");
>> TimeBasedRollingPolicy policy = new TimeBasedRollingPolicy();
>> policy.setContext(lc);
>> policy.setParent(appender);
>> policy.setFileNamePattern("filename_%d{yyyy-MM-dd}.txt");
>> PatternLayout layout = new PatternLayout();
>> layout.setContext(lc);
>> layout.setPattern("%date [%level] %logger{30} %message %n");
>>
>> appender.setRollingPolicy(policy);
>> appender.setLayout(layout);
>> policy.start();
>> layout.start();
>> appender.start();
>>
>> Logger root = lc.getLogger(LoggerContext.ROOT_NAME);
>> root.addAppender(appender);
>>
>> //start logging:
>> Logger logger = (Logger)LoggerFactory.getLogger(MyApp.class);
>> logger.debug("Logging configuration done");
>> //////////////
>>
>> Links:
>> [1]http://logback.qos.ch/manual/introduction.html
>> [2]http://logback.qos.ch/manual/architecture.html
>> [3]http://logback.qos.ch/index.html
>>

>> shef wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've read the docs, and I'm having a hard time understanding how to perform
>> basic tasks. The manual, is, ah, less than straightforward...
>>> All I want to do is log to a disk file, and configure this in code. Using
>> XML config files is not an option. I see no sample code in the docs that
>> shows how to do this. The manual gets lost in complexity very, very quickly.
>>> All I want is something like this:
>>>
>>> someClass.setType(...) // console, disk file, whatever
>>> someClass.setDestination("/mydir");