[logback-user] A problem in SocketAppenderBase... and a shameless plug for my log-viewer ;)

Joern Huxhorn jhuxhorn at bpinteractive.com
Tue Jul 31 18:59:33 CEST 2007

Hi again and sorry that I forgot to mention this in my previous mail but
the method append(E event) in SocketAppenderBase forgets to close the
output-stream in case of an error.

      } catch (IOException e) {
        oos = null;
[..]

should be replaced with

      } catch (IOException e) {
        if(oos!=null)
        {
             try
            {
                oos.close()
            }
            catch(IOException ex)
            {
            //ignore
            }
           oos = null;
       }
[..]

I'm currently working on a proper log-viewer as a Chainsaw-replacement
and it has hanging connections in case of a server restart. I suspect
that this is the reason...

I'd be happy to send you a preview of the app, btw. The only problem,
currently, is that I'm infringing the GPL myself ;) since I'm not ready
for a source release yet (mainly because parts of the app will be LGPL
and the app itself GPL).but the GPL-license-dialog is already in place :)

So if you'd like to see a preview just send me a short mail to contact
[at] lumberjack.huxhorn.de. As you might have guessed by domain-name, I
plan to call the viewer LOGBack Lumberjack...

Joern.