[logback-user] logback performance clarification

Mandeep Singh mikki_singh at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 11:58:57 CET 2007

Hello Sebastian,

Thanks a lot for ur replies and all the efforts that u have put in into this great product. I will surely test this new code. In ur previous reply u had asked me the source of my assumption that the parameterized call is faster then "isDebugEnabled". Well I misinterpreted the "10 reasons to use logback" slideshow that is available on the logback site .. I am pasting the contents of the slide (Slide number 21)  that confused me, maybe u can consider rewording it -

Integer entry = new Interger(50);

logger.debug("The entry is "+entry+".");

can be optimized as:

 if(logger.isDebugEnabled()) {

 logger.debug("The entry is "+entry+".");

}

or better yet:

logger.debug("The entry is {}.", entry);

so u see that the second and third point are not actually related ...:)

Also I have another small query , my project uses a mixture of commons logging and log4j, also some of the thirdparty libraries that we use, are using commons. Where does logback fit in commons ? Can u point me a doc which i can refer for the same.

once again thanks for all ur help.

regards
Mandeep