[logback-user] Best Practices and JMX Configuration

Dale.Chapman at medavie.bluecross.ca Dale.Chapman at medavie.bluecross.ca
Thu Nov 22 15:36:32 CET 2007

I apologize if this has been covered already, but I have not been able to
find it so far in the manual or the mailing list archive.

My organization is in the middle of defining our logging standards and we
are looking for some best practice information. We are intending to make
use of JMX for management of the logger settings.

1 - In log4j, the standard practice that I saw was for developers to
statically define a logger for each class instead of dynamically calling
getLogger() for each logging message.  Given the dramatic speed
improvements in the getLogger() calls, is this still the recommended
practice?

2 - When using the JMXConfigurator, do the existing loggers that have been
defined get updated or are they discarded and new ones created?  This is
related to (1) above in that if new objects are created instead of
updating existing, then use of a statically defined logger is not
acceptable.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Dale Chapman,
Corporate Architect, Common Services
Medavie
506-867-4430
dale.chapman at medavie.bluecross.ca
This communication, including any attached documentation, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or taking action on the contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact us immediately so we may correct our records. Please then delete or destroy the original transmission and any subsequent reply. Thank you.

La présente communication, y compris toute pièce qui y a été jointe, est destinée uniquement à la personne ou à l’entité à laquelle elle a été adressée, et contient des renseignements à caractère confidentiel et personnel. Toute diffusion ou reproduction non autorisée ou toute intervention entreprise relativement à son contenu est strictement interdite. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez nous le signaler immédiatement afin que nous puissions effectuer la correction à nos dossiers. Veuillez par la suite supprimer ou détruire le contenu de la transmission originale ainsi que toute réponse ultérieure. Merci.