[logback-user] logback initialization "à la" Spring

Davide Baroncelli baroncelli at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 15:52:48 CEST 2007

Hi, I'm thinking about moving to logback after a life happily spent using
log4j: nevertheless I'm having problems understanding if there's a way to
initialize it in a similar way as we did with log4j.

What I do not want to do is put a configuration file under the
WEB-INF/classes dir in my webapp: all of our configuration files are stored
under WEB-INF/cfg, and we want to continue this way.

I see that logback has a way to define contexts through jndi, but we do not
want to ask our system administrators to change the config of our weblogic
clusters just because we think about introducing a new library: is there
another way?

What I'd like to obtain is something like we did with Spring's
Log4jConfigListener: simply define into the web.xml a listener which
configures the logging subsystem at startup time using the xml file
indicated by a servlet context parameter. Is there something like that? I
was thinking about writing a class by myself, but I see no way to do it
without triggering the BasicConfigurator part in the static initialize
method of StaticLoggerBinder.

Thank you,
Davide Baroncelli

P.s.: let me express my disagreement for logback and sl4j not supporting
neither the FATAL logging level nor automatic reloading of config files.