[logback-user] Classpath exception

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Mon Apr 7 22:31:44 CEST 2008

Hello,

Subsequent to a request on the pax-logging mailing list [1], Niclas
Hedhman asked me whether we would add a "Classpath exception" to our
LGPL license.

In principle, I have no objections to adding such an exception. As
such, I intend to add the following two paragraphs to logback's
license statement.

   Classpath Exception

   According to the terms of LGPL, a "Combined Work" is a work produced
by combining or linking an  Application with logback (the Library). In
section 4, the LGPL mandates that one may convey a Combined Work under
terms  of  one's  choice  that,  taken together,  effectively  do  not
restrict modification of the portions  of the Library contained in the
Combined   Work   and   reverse   engineering   for   debugging   such
modifications.

   As a  special exception, the  copyright holders of logback  give you
permission  to link  logback with  independent modules  to  produce an
executable,  regardless  of the  license  terms  of these  independent
modules,  and to copy  and distribute  the resulting  executable under
terms of  your choice,  provided that you  also meet, for  each linked
independent module,  the terms and  conditions of the license  of that
module. An independent module is a module which is not derived from or
based on logback. If you modify logback, you may extend this exception
to your version of  logback, but you are not obliged to  do so. If you
do  not wish  to  do so,  delete  this exception  statement from  your
version.

Any comments?

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.ops4j.general/4636/focus=4637

QOS.ch is looking to hire talented developers in Switzerland.  If
interested, please contact c e k i @ q o s . c h