[logback-user] GPL+Classpath exception

Ceki Gulcu listid at qos.ch
Tue Apr 8 20:09:16 CEST 2008

IANAL, but it seems to me that both LGPL and GPL+classpath do not
allow for direct extensions to be distributed under another
license. However, combined and independent work (as in work merely
using logback) is not affected by the provisions of the LGPL or
GPL+classpath.

As I understand it, the objections against the LGPL are due to the
fuzzy nature of the extend to which the LGPL applies. I hate to admit
that even with the classpath exception the meaning of "independent" is
not 100% clear. IMHO, the LGPL does not fair any better.

Arthur Blake wrote:
> I absolutely agree that LGPL or GPL+classpath are valid and reasonable
> licenses... it just makes it a little less business friendly.
>
> Does the GPL+classpath allow for writing extensions and plugins for
> logback that I can license as a non-copyleft license (apache /BSD/X11 or
> closed source)?

QOS.ch is looking to hire talented developers in Switzerland.  If
interested, please contact c e k i @ q o s . c h