[logback-user] GPL+Classpath exception

Arthur Blake blakesys at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 12 03:48:11 CEST 2008

Ceki:

I hope I didn't offend with these questions about your licensing (the lack of any answer leaves me wondering...)

The example "logblaster" might be a worst case scenario of someone ripping off an open source project for commercial gain.
I certainly am not intending to make such a project -- more just probing as to what the intent of your license is and how far it could be stretched.

I'm also really curious to know why you chose to switch from apache (log4j) to LGPL (logback) -- for my own knowledge.  I have several open source projects, and it's always a headache trying to pick the right license whenever I start a new project.  I learned a lot about the ends and outs from reading a few books on open source projects (especially "Producing Open Source Software" by Karl Fogel), but it's still always seems like a chore and a hassle to pick the right license.

Any insight into your thought process on picking the license would be appreciated.  If these questions are not appropriate for the list I apologize and you can feel free to send me a private email.