[logback-user] maven and logback

Ceki Gulcu listid at qos.ch
Wed Aug 20 18:57:44 CEST 2008

Hello Rusty,

I don't think the problems you are facing have to do with version 99. Try using
the regular commons-logging to get your code to build. You do not need to
reference commons-logging directly because it will be pulled in by maven's
transitive dependency rules. See below for an explanation.

For example, depending on logback-classic version 0.9.9 will transitively
pull-in slf4j-api version 1.5.2. Similarly, since spring 2.5.5 depends on
commons-logging v1.1.1, declaring spring 2.5.5 will pull-in commons-logging
v1.1.1. I beleive that log4j is declared as an optional dependency in spring
v2.5.5 so you probably do not need to declare log4j nor log4j-over-slf4j as
dependencies. However, I might be wrong on that last item.

As for modules in the org.slf4j group, they are a;ways released at the same
time. So if you declare a dependency for log4j-over-slf4j version X, make sure
that if you declare slf4j-api as dependency, its version number is identical to X.

HTH,

ps: One last thing, avoid cross posting to multiple lists. :-)

Rusty Wright wrote:
> Maven newbie here trying to convert my Eclipse project to Maven.
>
> I tried using the "version 99" of Commons Logging as documented here (so
> that I can use logback and slf4j instead):
>
>  http://day-to-day-stuff.blogspot.com/2007/07/no-more-commons-logging.html
>
> which was just recently referenced on the logback mailing list.
>
> My pom.xml file starts out as below.  Below that are the errors.
>
> So I don't understand why it's not working.  And additionally in the
> errors part the initial "Downloading:" lines seem odd to me since they
> have the zapto url prepended to them.
>
> Help!

QOS.ch is looking to hire talented developers located in
Switzerland. Please contact ceki at qos.ch for details.