[logback-user] logging output duplicated

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Mon Dec 1 20:56:54 CET 2008

Chris Cheshire wrote:
> Ceki,
>
> What I want is only ERROR logging from the external libraries (eg
> Stripes), while having DEBUG from my own.

In that case, you need to write

  <root level="ERROR">
    <appender-ref ref="EMAIL" />
    <appender-ref ref="FILE"  />
  </root>

  <logger name="package.of.for.your.own.code" level="DEBUG"/>

> Do I need to define it as :
>
> <root level="ERROR">
>   <appender-ref ref="EMAIL" />
> </root>
>
> <logger name="foo" level="DEBUG" additivity="false">
>   <appender-ref ref="EMAIL" />
>   <appender-ref ref="FILE"  />
> </logger>
>

> Regarding the additivity, why are INFO messages being logged by the
> root logger when its threshold is ERROR? Shouldn't it just be ERROR
> getting picked up by that section, even with the additivity on?

The level setting for the root logger is inherited. When you set the level of
the "foo" loggger to DEBUG, you override the level setting of the root logger.

This is explained in the manual

   http://logback.qos.ch/manual/architecture.html#basic_selection

HTH,