[logback-user] Configuring logback under Tomcat6

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Tue Dec 9 11:41:20 CET 2008

Hello Robin,

Place logback-access-0.9.13.jar and logback-core-0.9.13.jar under
$TOMCAT6_HOME/lib/ folder. Place logback-access.xml configuration file under
$TOMCAT6_HOME/conf. A simple config file you can use is:

<configuration>
   <appender name="STDOUT"
     class="ch.qos.logback.core.ConsoleAppender">
     <layout
       class="ch.qos.logback.access.PatternLayout">
       <Pattern>%h %l %u %user %date "%r" %s %b</Pattern>
     </layout>
   </appender>

   <appender-ref ref="STDOUT" />
</configuration>

In $TOMCAT6_HOME/conf/server.xml, declare LogbackValve under Engine, as in

    <Valve className="ch.qos.logback.access.tomcat.LogbackValve"/>

Please let us know if it works or if it does not.