[logback-user] configuring logback to log to two different

øyvind rotnes rotnes at gmail.com
Mon May 12 15:22:37 CEST 2008

Hi. I am new to logback and have some problem with setting up the configuration.
I want to add some new functionality to the existing logging
configuration that was already in use in the application.
I want my application to write log events from the classes that are in
the package: "com.my.package"  to a FILE
>From the documentation I undestod that this can be done with
 <logger additivity="false" name="com.my.package">
   		  <level value="debug" />
   		 <appender-ref ref="FILE" />
  </logger>

which points to a file appender. My logback.xml is listet below. This
configuration prints everything to the console, but nothing to the
FILE.
Can someone please point out for me where i am doing wrong?
Thanks!

<configuration debug="true">

  <appender name="FILE" class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender">
    <File>c:\temp\testAction.log</File>
	<append>true</append>

    <rollingPolicy class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.FixedWindowRollingPolicy">
      <FileNamePattern>testAction.%i.log.zip</FileNamePattern>
      <MinIndex>1</MinIndex>
      <MaxIndex>3</MaxIndex>
    </rollingPolicy>

    <triggeringPolicy
class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy">
      <MaxFileSize>5MB</MaxFileSize>
    </triggeringPolicy>
    <layout class="ch.qos.logback.classic.PatternLayout">
      <Pattern>%date{yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS} %X{action}  %msg%n</Pattern>
    </layout>
  </appender>

	<appender name="STDOUT" class="ch.qos.logback.core.ConsoleAppender">
    <layout class="ch.qos.logback.classic.PatternLayout">
      <Pattern>%msg%n</Pattern>
    </layout>
  </appender>

	 <logger additivity="false" name="com.my.package">
   		  <level value="debug" />
   		 <appender-ref ref="FILE" />
 	 </logger>

  <root>