[logback-user] Appender and zipping file

Ceki Gulcu listid at qos.ch
Wed Nov 12 18:32:11 CET 2008

Hello Greg,

The last file is the active log file. It cannot be compressed, at least not with
the current RollingFileAppender. If we changed the policy to compress the active
upon exit, i.e closing of the RollingFileAppender, then when and if the
application was restarted and time came to compress the log file there would be
a collision, the archive file would not created because it already existed,
leading to loss of data.

I am afraid you have to compress the last file on your own.