[logback-user] [SPAM] - Context selectors useful? - Email found in subject

Lucas, Casey clucas at e-miles.com
Wed Nov 26 15:27:35 CET 2008

For our web applications deployed within tomcat 5.x we use a custom context selector to allow use of multiple independent logback configurations and implementations.  We use logback for tomcat internal logging (via commons logging over slf4j) and application level logging.  Each web application and tomcat has it's own logback configuration file, own set of logback related jars and is separately controllable via JMX.  We did not put any logback, slf4j, etc. related jars into TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib - instead they are in TOMCAT_HOME/server/lib.

The high level of isolation simplifies our development and deployment practices.  In general, we did not want any logging related jar or configuration dependencies between tomcat and the multiple web applications.  We accomplished our isolation goals by developing a custom ContextSelector, however if there were different or better options for isolation we would look at those.  In other words, we're not set on using a ContextSelector implementation - we just want strict isolation.

I should mention that we potentially don't use ContextSelector in its originally intended manner.  We tried the JNDI based ContextSelector that ships with logback, but JNDI is not available when tomcat starts doing internal logging so we had trouble separating tomcat logging from application level logging when using the JNDI ContextSelector.  Anyway, our ContextSelector implementation boils down to using a classpath-based resource for logging configuration.  We don't really do any dynamic context selection like that of ch.qos.logback...LoggerContextFilter.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

-casey