[logback-user] Context selectors useful?

Lars Ködderitzsch lars at koedderitzsch.net
Wed Nov 26 15:52:14 CET 2008

Hello Ceki,

thanks for the heads up on this issue on the mailing list.

Starting off I'd like to mention that for me the most wanted feature is
separation of logging from different contexts (e.g. war's, ejb) of of an
enterprise application (ear), without needing to resort to classloader
stunts, multiple repeated logging configurations etc.
That means that the contexts of an enterprise app should be able to use
the same logging implementation (that is placed in the ear classloader)
and the same logging configuration, but ultimately the log into
different log files.
This way it can be truely sorted out, which context logged which message.

To my knowledge such a thing is supported in neither logging
implementations.
Currently I am running this as a hack on log4j, based on a specialized
appender which switches the underlying log file based on some thread
local, which in turn is set by a special servlet filter in each web context.

At the time trying logback I thought that context selectors could
achieve that in a better, more standardized and less hacky way.
Ultimately I failed at the time and haven't looked back yet at logback.

So back to the question, yes, I would be very much interested in such a
feature - be it contexts selectors or something else.

If your're interested I can elaborate more on the problem, so you can
get a better understanding what would actually be needed.

Best regards,
Lars