[logback-user] Adding a timestamp to a FileAppender file

Lang, Johannes Johannes.Lang at ipi.ch
Thu Oct 30 11:21:39 CET 2008

Hi Nicolas,

as far as i understand your goal, a RollingFileAppender would do the job.
The following appender is an example of a RollingFileAppender, which does
a Rollover every hour with de defined name-pattern. The rollover-policy is
defined by the time-pattern:

<appender name="RollingFile" class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender">
	<File>logFile.log</File>
	<rollingPolicy class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.TimeBasedRollingPolicy">
		<FileNamePattern>logFile.%d{yyyy-MM-dd_HH}.log</FileNamePattern>
	</rollingPolicy>
	<layout class="ch.qos.logback.classic.PatternLayout">
		<Pattern>%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%thread] %-5level %logger{36} - %msg%n</Pattern>
	</layout>
</appender>

cheers
Hannes