[logback-user] Set Level per Logger AND Appender?

Robert Elliot rob at lidalia.org.uk
Thu Oct 30 14:32:01 CET 2008

Hi Ceki,

Thanks for the reply.

> Why don't you attach directly a filter on the file appender that
> writes to 'application.log'? Such a filter would ensure that no messages of
> level INFO or lower would make it into 'application.log'. Are you aware
> that filters can be attached directly on appenders?

Because for some loggers I want INFO level statements to be written to application.log (for instance in the case of server startup / shutdown) and for some loggers I don't.  If I set a filter on the appender to only allow WARN or higher to application.log I lose all the INFO statements I wanted; if I set it to allow INFO or higher then if I set a logger to DEBUG then it will start sending INFO messages that I don't want to application.log.

Robert