[logback-user] TimeBasedRollingPolicy

paha ch_pasha at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 19 15:57:46 CEST 2009

Hi again,
is there any chance of making the TimebasedRollingPolicy ever run properly?
I've run the tests once more. The current flaw of execution is following:

Stage 1: RollingPolicyBase.setParent(FileAppender appender) is called
at this stage appender.rawFileProperty() is still Null in spite of
configuration file entry

Stage 2: TimeBasedRollingPolicy.start() is called
at this stage lastCheck time is set and because File property of
FileAppender is still Null, last modification time of the log is not read
Stage 3: FileAppender.setFile is finally called to set the file name of the
log. At this stage it is too late because current system time was assigned
to lastCheck at Stage 2

That is the reason, why all applications that do not run as long as
TimebasedRollingPolicy trigger event needs, will never ever roll the log
file over.

Please make it work right if possible. I would do it myself if i could, but
i'm pretty new in java and the logback code is too complex for me to make
myself comfortable with it.