[logback-user] Tomcat 5.5 and LogbackValve

Chu, William wchu at FACorelogic.com
Thu Aug 6 20:14:16 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I tried searching through the archives for any suggestions or answers to
my dilemma so I must resort to posting this question.

I'm attempting to use the LogbackValve with Tomcat 5.5 and I'm not
achieving the results that I expected.  What I'd like to do is have
Tomcat use LogbackValve instead of
org.apache.catalina.valves.FastCommonAccessLogValve.  I attempted to
follow the instructions detailed on this page,
http://logback.qos.ch/access.html#tomcat, but to no avail.  No log file
is created in the TOMCAT_HOME/logs directory which I would expect it to
do upon startup of Tomcat.  What am I missing?

Line in server.xml:

<Valve className="ch.qos.logback.access.tomcat.LogbackValve"/>

Logback-access.xml:

<configuration debug="true">

  <appender name="FILE"

    class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender">

    <File>access.log"</File>

    <rollingPolicy

      class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.TimeBasedRollingPolicy">

      <FileNamePattern>access.%d{yyyy-MM-dd}.log.zip</FileNamePattern>

    </rollingPolicy>

                <triggeringPolicy
class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy">

                                <MaxFileSize>5MB</MaxFileSize>

                </triggeringPolicy>

    <layout class="ch.qos.logback.access.PatternLayout">

      <Pattern>combined</Pattern>

    </layout>

  </appender>

  <appender-ref ref="FILE" />

</configuration>

Regards,

William Chu

Sr. Applications Developer

First American CoreLogic, Inc.

Direct: 714.250.5813

Email: wchu at facorelogic.com

This message may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) named above or may contain information that is legally privileged. If you are
not the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended addressee,
you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please immediately notify us by
replying to the message and delete the original message and any copies immediately thereafter.

Thank you.
FACLD